Minutes of November 17, 2011 meeting
Richmond Food Security Society- Action Team Meeting
November 17, 2011
In attendance: Arzeena Hamir, Erika Simms, Rani Wangsawidjaya, Kay Wong, Gretchen Frazer, Erin Hanson, Janice Lambert, Deneanne Quamme
- Additions to Agenda: 8b: proposal funding, 10. Touchstone’s Eating Together program, 11.Evaluation from CFAI, 12. Calendar of Events, 13. Earth Day Event
- Concerns for Cherry Lane Farm: Arzeena highlighted that there is an application for a new hotel/office high rise development to be built across from the Cherry Lane Farm. This area is zoned for residential at this time so the developer would have to get variances on the area. The society is concerned about the development and the fact that it could push another farm out of the community. Arzeena mentioned that there is a new development (townhouses) being built at Garden City and Fernwood that will have a fruit orchard included.
Action: Arzeena will go to meetings to represent the RFSS to voice concerns about the development
- Municipal Election: There was a list of questions sent to the Mayor and City Councillors to answer regarding issues around food security. Check website for details. Also Garden City Lands Coalition had asked some questions. Check the website for information.
- School Board Issues: Arzeena brought up the Farm to School funding at one of the school trustees meetings. She was concerned about the loss of funding of $25,000 to start this program. Some of the incumbent candidates answered that they never knew anything about the funding for this program.
- Good Food Box Update: Brighouse United is interested in using their facility for pick up but are concerned about more traffic in the parking lot when they have their preschool programs. The program also needs some staff hours as well. Cristina Sutter who is running the program in Vancouver has yet to contact Brighouse United and answer their questions. We will await further confirmation regarding the program.
- Stir it up- update: The program has been started up with Linda Robertson. They have had three sessions so far cooking various local foods and enjoying them. Arzeena applied for a grant for $5000 from the City of Richmond, it is under consideration at this time. In January, Georgina Patko will take on some fund raising for the program.
- Seed Library- new project: Erika Simms would like to start a seed library for the society. The details are to follow as the project will start in January. We hope to have it ready in time for Seedy Saturday. Suggestions were offered that we should look at including children in the project as well. Janice would ask Leanne Smith (Librarian/community events) to put a seed box in the library. Also suggested that the box be built of lightweight materials so it could be transported to different locations. Action: Erika to start project in January 2012
- World Food Day 2012 Team: Booked for Saturday October 13, 2012. Museum and library to be partners. Arzeena put out a call for a group to get started, will revisit in 2012. Also noted: There will be a Pan-Canada Seed saving conference November 10/11, 2012
- Christmas Party: will be held on December 8th at the Richmond Caring Place Room 320 from 3:30pm- 5:00pm. It will be catered by Linda Robertson and the Stir it up program
Action: Erika to send out invitations
9b. Funding proposal: Arzeena has sent a proposal to the Real Estate Foundation to help fund her position. This money would be to help conduct a land food study strategy for Richmond, identifying land in rural agriculture and urban argriculture.
- Touchstone eating together program: Serena Lusk, City of Richmond has suggested that this program would fit with the mandate of the society. Last year they McDonalds were a major sponsor of the program. The society declined to be a sponsor for that reason.
- Evaluation of CFAI: The Community Food Action Initiative five year evaluation reports are now available. The report is available at the following link: http://www.vch.ca/your_health/population_health/food_security/
Action: Erika to send out report link to groups
12. Calendar of events: Gretchen is concerned about food related events that are not known about. She would like to consider having a calendar on the website. If there are events to be posted and sent to the email list they need to be sent to Gretchen by Monday before 11am.
Action: Gretchen to add Dream Auction and Fair Trade Fare to the list of upcoming events
- Earth Day Event 2012: Arzeena would like to see an event planned for Earth day in April 2012. It is also the Richmond Amnesty’s 30th Anniversary
Action: Arzeena will contact the museum and library
The society has an EYA (Environmental Youth Alliance) intern starting in January for three months. They will help with community garden renewals and other office work as well as helping at the Stir it up program.