World Food Day 2013
World Food Day:
Celebrate the 9th Annual World Food Day!
Free events include:
- Film screenings
- Rooftop garden tours
- Food samples prepared by Chef Ian Lai
- Kid’s activities, and more!
World Food Day Celebration at the Richmond Cultural Center
The Richmond Food Security Society, Richmond Public Library, City of Richmond, and Cinevolution Media Society, are pleased to host the 9th annual World Food Day Celebration on Saturday, October 19th from 11:00 – 4:00 pm. All are welcome to come join us at this free event and learn about this year’s theme: Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition.
Come by and visit the various booths including valuable health and food security
information, children’s activities, tour the roof top garden or watch a food documentary.
Try out food samples crafted by Chef Ian Lai. All of these informative activities will take
place at the Cultural Center, located at 7700 Minoru Gate.
World Food Day is celebrated internationally and was launched by the Food and
Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 1979. For the last 9 years, the
Richmond Food Security Society has spearheaded the World Food Day Celebration at
the Richmond Cultural Center. This event happens at the same time across the globe to
bring awareness of local and global issues of hunger and malnutrition. It is everyone’s
responsibility to get involved and be aware of how they can make a difference here and
across the world.
More information about World Food Day 2013 can be found here:
If you want even more information, scroll to the bottom of this page for an extensive selection of links to information food security and food systems videos, or for links to various food security, access and advocacy organizations.
When: October 19th, 2013, 11 – 4 pm
Where: Richmond Public Libray, Main Branch, 7700 Minoru Gate
Videos about Food Security or about issues affecting our food:
Food Security or Access Organizations (Local, Provincial, and National)
- Food Secure Canada (National food security organization)
- USC Canada (Seed security)
- BC Food Systems Network (Provincial network of food security organizations)
- BC Food Security Gateway (Resource space for food security news and information)
- Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
- Richmond Food Security Society (Richmond based food security organization)
- Richmond Food Bank
- Capital Region – Food and Agricultural Initiatives Roundtable -
(Vancouver Island regional food security organization)
- Life Cycles Project – (Victoria based food security organization)
- Table Matters (Vancouver North Shore food security organization)
- Food Matters Manitoba (Manitoba food security organization)
- The Stop Community Food Centre (Toronto food security organization)
- Bits and Bytes (General resources re: food security)
Food Systems or Resources
- Farm to School BC
- Community Food Atlas (online directory of food resources)
- Farmfolk Cityfolk (linking farming and farmer’s issues to urban folks)
- Slow Food ( International organization – food system change)
Oceans and Seafood Advocacy Organizations