- Are you concerned that children, youth, seniors and families in Richmond do not get enough to eat, or worse, go hungry?
- Do you worry that your food may be unsafe – containing harmful pesticides, additives or untested genetic modifications?
- Have you noticed that the price of food staples or their availability is affected by global economic fluctuations?
- Does it bother you that prime farmland that can be used for local food production is disappearing due to development or pollution?
- Do you believe that everyone has the right to access and control their own food choices?
The Richmond Food Security Society (RFSS) is an independent, not-for-profit community organization that works to ensure:
“That all people in the community, at all times, have access to nutritious, safe, personally acceptable and culturally appropriate foods, produced in ways that are environmentally sound and socially just.”
RFSS strives daily to address these important issues and more by:
- Managing eight Community Gardens with hundreds of plots for growing fresh, local organic foods.
- Offering educational programs and workshops in cooking and gardening.
- Coordinating with local food banks and poverty organizations to address community-wide food security issues.
- Developing food security, community health and sustainable agriculture policies with local and regional governments.
- Advocating for pesticide and genetically-modified free food.
Please donate now! Consider making your contribution monthly – it will help us continue our work all year. Thank you for your support.
Note: We use PayPal to accept donations. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can pay securely using a credit card. Just look for the credit card logos on the bottom left of the PayPal page and follow the link there.