Getting the garden ready for winter:
If you’re a community gardener with RFSS this is your guide to prepping your garden for winter. It is important that the gardens comply with the City of Richmond’s rules and we have outlined below how the garden plots must look at the end of the growing season.
Gardens must be:
- Cleaned of all garden waste
- If you’re overwintering or winter gardening, please ensure that it is tidy
- Clear of structures and the materials are bundled and stored in your plot (poles, tunnels etc)
- If you have a perennial or long growing plant (rose, honeysuckle etc) they can not get any bigger, please trim and keep tidy
Gardens CANNOT have:
- Plastic, row fabric is acceptable
- Buckets or any storage bins
- Industrial materials like windows or treated wood
What plots should aim to look like:
The City is concerned about fire hazards as Rosewood Gardens had a fire incident last year and reducing plastic use to be more sustainable. We must comply with the City as our gardeners are on public, City property and our program’s success relies on our great relationship.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com