Sign up for the Richmond Community Gardens
We would love to have you join us as a community garden member! Due to high demand, there is a one to three year wait from the time you sign up for the waitlist and when you are offered a garden plot. The following information explains how our wait list works. Before signing up for the waitlist please read the Agreement and Guidelines section so you know what to expect before renting a plot and becoming a member of the community gardens. Garden plots are rented on a yearly basis and we do our best to fill vacant plots in the winter and early spring.
About the Richmond Community Gardens Waitlist:
- You can sign up for the garden sites you are interested in joining and will be offered a plot as they come available.
- Plots are assigned on a first-come first-serve basis.
- It is up to the individuals on the waitlist to inform us of any changes in phone numbers, address, and emails. If we can’t reach you, you will be taken off the waitlist.
- When a plot is offered to an individual on the waitlist, they will be given a set period of time to respond. If we do not receive a reply, that individual will keep their place in line on the waitlist, but that plot will be offered to the next person on the waitlist.
- If an individual on the waitlist does not respond or declines a plot three times, they will be removed from the waitlist.
- There are no guarantees in regards to condition and location of the garden plot. Garden plots are rented on an “as-is” basis.
- Current gardeners who want to transfer to a different garden are given priority for the next renewal cycle.
If you have read the Agreement and Guidelines and would like to have a plot in the community gardens, please click the button below to add your name to the waitlist.
Garden Plot Renewals
Current community gardeners who are in good standing (no overdue garden rule violations) will always have the opportunity to renew the same garden plot for the following season. Garden plot renewals happen during the winter and gardeners must agree to the community garden Agreement and Guidelines and pay the yearly fee.
Ready to renew your plot for next season?
Current community gardeners will be emailed information and detailed instructions about renewing their garden plot.
Garden Plot Transfers
Current community gardeners can request to transfer to a different plot or garden site. Transfer requests can be made any time of the year and we will try to accommodate requests for the following gardening season. Gardeners on the transfer list are prioritized and will be offered an available plot before it is offered to an individual on the community garden waitlist.
If you are a current gardener and would like to transfer to a different plot, please email the garden coordinator with the following information:
- your name
- current garden site and plot number
- the garden site you would like to transfer to
- what size of plot you would like
We offer subsidized rates to those for whom cost may be a barrier. Simply contact us and request a subsidized rate of 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%. There is no need to provide detailed information; we trust that folks will only request a subsidy if they need it. While we attempt to accommodate all subsidy requests, we reserve the right to limit the number of subsidies provided. We also appreciate donations from other gardeners or the public to help cover these costs.